Philip Martiny

Click for a larger image

Post Road Gallery
American Sculpture

Philip Martiny
American (1858 - 1927)

Boy with Heron Fountain

Bronze
51 Inches high
Circa 1910
Signed
Cast by Roman Bronze, NY


Philip Martiny was a gifted American Beaux Arts sculptor who was active from the 1880's through 1920's. He apprenticed in the studio of Augustus Saint Gaudens while Saint Gaudens had the commission for the decoration of the Cornelius Vanderbilt II mansion in New York City. It was here that Martiny showed an aptitude for architectural sculpture doing wood carving for the elaborate mansion. On Saint Gaundens recommendation, in 1893 Martiny was given the commission to decorate the Agricultural Building at the World's Columbian Exhibition for McKim, Mead and White. The Columbian Exhibition was considered a successess and Martiny received numerous important commissions subsequent to it. He executed the Grand Staircase in the Library of Congress and the reliefs on the facade of the Art Institute of Chicago. His largest building commission was for the decoration of the facade of the New York City Hall of Records, (Now the Surrogate's Court building) on Chambers Street in lower Manhattan. For this Martiny created 24 heroic sized figures who were either allegories or portraits of famous New Yorkers. Because the majority of Martiny's output was architectural his work is rarely seen available on the art market.


Click On Buttons to Return to:

Return to Homepage Directory Page Click to E-Mail Text Directory Sculpture Directory

Post Road Gallery / 2128 Boston Post Road / Larchmont, NY, 10538 USA
Tel: (914) 834-7568 Fax: (914) 834-9245